2019 Gratitude Jar Challenge
I did the 52 week Gratitude Jar Challenge for 2019 and the plan was to go through it on New Year’s Eve, but I had such a horrible headache and my dog was in hysterics because of the fireworks so I skipped it.
The idea was to write something on a piece of paper that I was grateful for or stood out for me every week for a year.
Mine is not as colourful as the picture shows, but here goes:
We have been blessed with 3 days’ rain.
- Zumba classes started again.
- Mom loves her belated Christmas present: the whole Keeping up with Appearances series.
We just found out that my brother has got his girlfriend pregnant. I’m glad my mom is finally going to be a grandmother but not under this circumstances.
Took my first sick day from work. Luckily the doctor wasn’t cross with me.
Went to see Agatha Christie’s play “Mousetrap” based on her story “Three blind mice”. Mel sê dit was bietjie lank.
I went to see the Nosferatu Silent Horror Symphony at the Brooklyn theatre with my friends Nicolene and Marilyn. It was quite the experience. Nosferatu is a black and white silent movie based on Bram Stoker’s Dracula. There were musicians who added the music to the movie with all kinds of instruments. The highlight was the theremin!
- Lekker pampoenkoekies geëet.
- My brother got engaged.
Oupa het geval en sy heup gebreek, maar gelukkig was die operasie ‘n sukses.
- Oupa moet nou in outehuis gaan bly.
- I decided to stop attending support group every week.
Had my first sleepover in a very long time at bestie’s house and we watched Once upon a time. Trying to get out of my comfort zone.
- Plus: Subscribed to New York Times crosswords, which means crosswords galore!
- Negative: Dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
My dad turned 69 this year. We celebrated by playing some Rummikub.
Felt like someone played an April Fool’s Joke on me. Wanted to play Bones 9 DVD, but as it turns out there are somethings like region codes and if your player doesn’t have it, it is not compatible. Luckily, we could play it on my parents’ machine but it has a terrible echo.
Bought a second-hand Dr Seuss book for Danté, my brother’s girlfriend’s first child.
- Had my first hummus.
- Our Chinese waiter who could speak Afrikaans fluently.
- Saved a bat’s life. It was clinging to the side of our swimming pool. I used the braai tongs to lift its tail up and over.
- Went to see stage production of Chichago with bestie. “They both reached for the gun, the gun…”
- Held a baby shower for one of our members at support group. Angela baked such a lovely cake.
- Het 5 brandwurms by Aqua gesien.
Finished typing my grandmother’s memoirs for the rest of the family. It was one of those things I said I would do, but didn’t.
- Decided to vote in the election. It is my feminist duty!
- Drove down to Uitenhage and saw the Gariep Dam and “Vallei van Verlatenheid” along the way.
My only remaining grandparent turned 95 this year! I took time off work to go and celebrate this milestone with him. We did a lot of sightseeing during our road trip and I got to see the Owl house and I bought myself some Toby jugs.
Paid tribute to my support group with Faith Hill’s “There you’ll be” my favourite song for now.
Uiteindelik besluit wat ek wil maak vir die Baby Shower: ‘n blommekransie. Het begin hekel aan blommetjies.
While my parents were away on holiday, I had to feed myself somehow. I was planning to make stir fry one night, but there was only pork mince in the fridge. So I got the crazy idea of making my first batch of pork mince balls.
Snaaksie: Wilde beeste is “perde me horings”.
My mom and I went to my brother’s fiancé’s Baby Shower. It was a bit awkward as we do not know her family at all. This is what I made: a floral head band.
My aunt has been pestering me for a while now to write a script based on the true life events of my paternal grandmother: she grew up in an orphanage during the Great Depression and Great Drought in the 1930s. So I finally decided to give it a go…
- I was officially welcomed into the production team at work.
- Coworker lent me his Calvin & Hobbss comics.
Hmmm. This inscription makes no sense “Dagboek amper klaar” I cannot for the life of me remember what I meant with this? Did I perhaps meant I was almost finished with writing the script?
- Diané is here! My brother’s baby girl was born on 9 July 02:40 and weighed 3.64kg.
- The weirdest thing happened to me. I found one of my ear rings that went missing, but it’s where I found it that is so weird. At work we all have our own parking space and one morning when I got out of my car and looked down, there it was! I could have driven over it, but I haven’t!
- Uiteindelik geleer hoe om te Deep Edge in Design en dit reggekry – soveel makliker as wat ek gedink het. Almal was baie impressed.
- Ek en Melani het vir die 50ste herdenking van die maanlanding na Marilyn se company se kunsuitstalling gegaan. Daar was SO baie mense!
- Vir die eerste keer in ‘n Indiese restaurant geëet – die kos is baie lekker!
- Moemin! I got to watch some episodes of my favourite childhood series which I got from someone at work. For some unexplained reason you cannot find the series in Afrikaans anywhere.
- I got a raise at work.
- I am still a junior subeditor, but I had to read all the pages alone on Friday.
- Ek drink nooit tee by die werk nie, maar hierdie week kon ek met my nuwe Kansa-beker.
9 Aug Women’s Day marked the one month anniversary of my brother’s baby girl’s, Diané. I still cannot get over the fact that he is a father now, and I am an aunt!
Went to visit one of our therapists at her home to drop off some stuff for a charity sale. Silly, clumsy me dropped everything when getting out of the car. We had a long talk over a cup of tea and I got to meet one of our support group members’ new born baby.
I have been sick for a week and instead of me forcing myself to go to work, I went to the doctor instead. And not a moment too soon! I was booked off for two days because I had a case of tonsilitis!
I helped out at our charity sale and got some books I used to read when I was very young and we visited our local library. I was also gifted a painting of a ghost ship that made quite an impression on me.
- Said goodbye to one of our subeditors. Everyone is sorry to see her go, she gave me some good advice.
- Went for a test drive for a Suzuki Jimny. Didn’t go as planned, because now I do not know which car I want – I just know it is not a Jimny.
- One of my university friends invited me to come to his choir’s performance. It was brilliant – I just wished I congratulated him afterwards and not on Facebook.
I work as a subeditor at a community newspaper and they loved my title suggestion for a front page story: “Rus sag, sagmoedige reus”.
Ek het vir my niggie Roché gaan kuier met haar seuntjies se verjaarsdagpartytjie. Hulle verjaar saam met my in September. Was maar awkward aan die begin, maar het later lekker gekuier saam met van haar oud-musiekstudente.
- I turned 30 this year and decided I wanted to hold a braai on Saturday night with all the yummy things.
- Sunday, my bestie and I went to an 80s vs 90s musical show and it was wonderful! The only downside was the place we went to didn’t serve cocktails 😦
- Another downside is that we finished the last season of Bones.
I got a new role at work today. There is an intern and I have to train him in writing the best copy for our newspaper – but oh, he is so annoying!
- On my way home on a Friday afternoon a bee flew into my window and stung me! This was the last straw and I took it as a sign to get a new car with air con.
- I finally went to the doctor when the bee sting just became worst. Turns out it wasn’t a bee – it was a wasp – ouch!
- I asked one of our more experienced subeditors to help me with a cryptic crossword at work.
- It was 37 degrees Celcius on Monday and I asked my mom to do my hair up in a Dutch girl style – something I’ve never done before! Everyone at work loved it!
- It doesn’t happen often when I try my hand in the kitchen but I had this wonderful idea of making beef, carrot, chutney meatballs. Or as we say in Afrikaans: frikadelle!
- Bought myself a car for my 30th birthday. Ain’t it purrty?
I call it “Die Rooi Gevaar” Afrikaans for Red Danger. It’s a tongue-in-cheek reference to what people used to refer to Communism in our culture.
- My birthday prezzie: My bestie gifted me an Amusement Part scratch off scene.
- After a seriously long drought season, we received our first rains: 48mm!
- I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as much at work. We had to edit the story of Tjortsie – a pet chicken. The journalist who wrote it certainly made our day – and week!
- Had my first swim since winter has ended and summer started.
Went to my first German market at the German Old Age Homes and I bought some yummy cookies and a Nut cracker figure.
- Went to pick up my BRAND NEW CAR! Here I am ringing the bell at the car dealership.
So many people congratulating me on my new car. I must say it is such a relief to have an air con in this heatwave.
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful rain! It rained non-stop for a week. Some parts of the city even flooded!
- Have you ever wondered where the term “bookWORM” comes from? Well, I actually stumbled upon one while leafing through an old book. At first I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, but realized there was a teeny tiny worm walking on the page!!!
- I dyed my hair with a hidden rainbow theme again. Boo yah!
My eerste braai gepak. Ek en my ma het gesukkel om die vuur aan die gang gekry, maar kon darem want firelighters was oud. Toe ek vir pa gaan roep het om vuur aan te steek, toe sê hy ons moet solank bid?!
- I remember growing up, we had a toy kaleidoscope and it was a frantic mission to get one for my brother’s girls. (I ended up buying the last two at Toys R Us: one for Danté and one for me!
- Of course it was Diané’s first Christmas and my mom and I went completely overboard in buying presents.
- Christmas day was also the last day I would drive with my old car and part with it.
I can tell you this much, I wasn’t sorry in the least! I was completely drenched in sweat and of course I got lost again! Having air con and a navigation system in my car are two things I will never take for granted!